Re: [hylafax-users] an old issue FAXRM

Thanks Aidan,

You were right, that was my hosts.hfaxd:
localhost
127.0.0.1
10.2.84.*
^root@::tg7.gHr.L3sKQ:5GHfSf812wXaY

so never reach the root user directly.
But now that I've put the ^root line the first, even with the command
faxstat, it ask me for the password.

Maybe without password to avoid that?

Thanks a lot.

FAP

2007/6/13, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@xxxxxxxx>:
* Fernando <fernando.alhambra@xxxxxxxxx> [070613 07:26]:
> Hi all,
>
> I've read in the mailing list about this topic from years ago, but
> I've not seen something about my problem.
>
> HylaFAX: 4.3.2
> Box: RHEL 3 AS
>
> 1
> I send a fax via email2fax with exim.
> The user exim has a /bin/false shell, which means has not the
> capability to login into a shell so I can't 'su' from root nor login
> like exim user.
> I've set "faxadduser -a abcd -p abcd root"
> In the hosts.hfaxd: ^root@::tg7.gHr.L3sKQ:5GHfSf812wXaY

Can you show us the complete hosts.hfaxd?  If your concerned about
posting the crypted passwords, * them out, or send it privately.

> faxrm -a -v 2864
> Trying localhost (127.0.0.1) at port 4559...
> Connected to HylaFAX.
> 220 HylaFAX server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.3.2) ready.
> -> USER root
> 230 User root logged in.

This line shows that the root line you added earlier is *not* the first
match for the attempted login.

> Password:
> -> ADMIN XXXX
> 530 Password incorrect.
> Admin failed: 530 Password incorrect.
> (When I write abcd or the root password of the system)

And my guess is that the earlier matching line doesn't have an admin
password (or at least a different one)

> > 6 > I've even tried to set the user of the exim as root (the one who sent > the faxes via exim), but the exim philosophy set the user root in the > never_users list, so I can sent faxes via exim: > ... > 2007-06-13 12:13:28 1HyPqx-0001tx-W2 User 0 set for hylafax transport > is on the never_users list > 2007-06-13 12:13:28 1HyPqx-0001tx-W2 == user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx R=fax > T=hylafax defer (-29): User 0 set for hylafax transport is on the > never_users list > > > It is true that I can change the shell to the exim user, to define > another user for fax2email with a useful shell, but this is not the > way.

How about just "/bin/su --shell=/bin/bash - exim".  That doesn't fix the
"hylafax admin password" problem, but let's you log in as exim.

Alternately, try setting the FAXUSER environment variable so
faxrm logs in as $FAXUSER (set it to exim).

> I think that the question is, why the password in the hosts.hfaxd
> doesn't work for me? Or maybe ¿how does it work?
> I couldn't understand this behaviour.

The 1st line that matches the user@host pattern is used.  So I'm
guessing that the first line is somethin glike:
       localhost
or
       127.0.0.1

which will match your root login, and reject an ADMIN command (because
there is no admin password)

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103

--
FAP