Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax and modem blocked with long faxes

Hello again

Today we've upgrade to last version of HylaFAX+, but the problem persists. Same error with faxes with more than 2 pages:

........ Bad HDLC terminating flag received.
........ Timeout awaiting synchronization sequence

And the system hangs, we can make modem start again. I think this block situation is caused by faxgetty, that mantains modem connected. I've been trying to stop faxgetty, but was imposible. Looking in this list I've seen it was my fault: I change inittab line, but after that I don't execute "
kill -HUP 1" so "respawn" kept doing his job...... So it's possible that if I stop faxgetty and restart, the system will work again.

But in any case, we still have the main problem:

- Why fax reception fails? (it seems that the problem don't appear when sending.....).
- Why the hylafax system hangs... I can understand that there is a problem with line, modem, etc. that makes fax reception fail, but after that the whole fax system (hylafax) get's blocked.

About the modem, this morning we've been sending and receiving faxes in our office (5, 8 pages), and everything works ok. No problems or hangs. So I'm not sure ii's guilty.

We have also changed the cables of the line, to eliminate this option.

I forgot to say that we have asterisk running in that machine, but we have other machine running with both systems and this is the first time we have this problem.

At this point, We have this options:

- The serial port of the server.
- The phone line (probably not, the line works fine with a fax machine).
- The server.
- Hylafax (probably not).
- The modem.

Tomorrow we will install hylafax+ in a new server, and we make the same tests. If everything works, the problem could be serial port or the server. If we have the same results, the line or the modem.

Any ideas???

Lee Howard escribió:
Alberto Iglesias wrote:

System: Debian etch 4.0 (kernel 2.6.18-4-686)
Hylafax version: 4.3.1
Interface: Serial:
Modem: US Robotics 5630

When we receive faxes with more than two pages, hylafax (or modem) crashed. The sender obtain an error and finished, but hylafax doesn't detect anything and remains receiving. After that, we have to reboot the system (not only hylafax, but all the system) or we are unable to make hylafax work again.

The advice about upgrading was good.  I'd suggest doing that first - either to the latest hylafax.org release or HylaFAX+.

Alberto Iglesias
Gerente
aiglesias@xxxxxxxxxx

ARCANOS INTERCOM S.L.
Centro de Empresas Camargo (local 211)
Polígono Industrial de Trascueto s/n
39600 Revilla de Camargo (Cantabria)

Tel:          942 072 801
Tel IP:      700 754 960
Fax:          942 072 802
@mail:    arcanos@xxxxxxxxxx
Web:        http://www.arcanos.es

Este e-mail y cualquiera de sus ficheros anexos son confidenciales y pueden
incluir información privilegiada. Si usted no es el destinatario adecuado
(o responsable de remitirlo a la persona indicada), agradeceríamos lo
notificase o reenviase inmediatamente al emisor. No revele estos contenidos a
ninguna otra persona, no los utilice para otra finalidad, ni almacene y, o,
copie esta información en medio alguno. Opiniones, conclusiones y otro tipo
de información relacionada con este mensaje que no sean relativas a la
actividad propia de ARCANOS INTERCOM S.L., deberán ser entendidas como
exclusivas del emisor.
begin:vcard
fn:Alberto Iglesias
n:Iglesias Aquesolo;Alberto
org:Arcanos Intercom S.L.
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Pol=C3=ADgono de Trascueto s/n;;Centro Empresas Camargo (local 211);Revilla de Camargo;Cantabria;39600;Espa=C3=B1a
email;internet:aiglesias@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Gerente
tel;work:942072801
tel;fax:942072802