Re: [hylafax-users] New way of using Eicom diva boards for fax reception

Luke,

>I've saw that the Mainpine people were saying a few negative things
>about the Eicon Diva server in earlier posts by suggesting to list
>readers not to buy these boards in contary to what the "official"
>hylafax howto says.

The "official" HylaFAX how-to is simply a guide.... it's not an
authoritative source of information on which modem to use because like much
of the HylaFAX documentation anyone is free to contribute (i.e. anyone is
free to say the modem XYZ from manufacturer ABC is the best thing since
'sliced bread').  What is missing from this list is the information that you
really need to make an informed decision, firmware revisions, test data,
test setup, OS versions, fax's sent, fax's received, HylaFAX versions, host
hardware, etc, etc, etc..  It's also important to understand that some of
the information on this list has been provided by commercial entities and
some has not.

If you want to know how Mainpine tests HylaFAX and HylaFAX+ then drop an
email to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx and they will give you as much detail as you
desire.  For a 'glossy' overview see here;

http://www.mainpine.com/isv/lab/

of course, you can always approach the other vendors on the list for their
test results.... I just hope you don't mind waiting.....

>The Eicon Diva boards handle the fax reception in Firmware so even
>though the patch is small one would assume it will be just as reliable
>as anything else. Comments from users of Eicon Diva users welcome...

We are a high volume user of Eicon Diva Server.  Most of our testing has
been based on the analog boards although we've also seen live data from
digital installations.

Two things you should always consider;

The Eicon Diva Server uses a DSP 'Farm' architecture where a single CPU
serves multiple DSP's.  This architecture yields significantly lower
reliability because of the single point of failure.

The Eicon Diva Server has a proprietary pseudo Class 2 interface.  This
interface not only restricts the ability of HylaFAX to address protocol
issues it also depends on Eicon firmware upgrades to address problems.  If
you search the HylaFAX archives you will find numerous examples of Diva
users who have required firmware upgrades which I'm willing to bet never get
addressed.  Remember that fax is a tiny part of Eicon's revenue.

One final comment.  You seem to be alarmed at the amount of commercial
activity on this list and the use of 'advertising' in email footers, etc.
May I remind you that every HylaFAX list posting contains an iFAX
advertisement and that the HylaFAX+ sourceforge.net site is plastered in
adverts.  Personally, I have no problem with this and think it reflects the
real world.... HylaFAX benefits from its commercial sponsors and this
represent the greatest chance that HylaFAX has for breaking into the
mainstream.

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited - Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com