Re: [hylafax-users] 3com / USR feedback please

Michael,

From experience:
Asterisk + fax
and/or
VoIP + fax
= don't even go there.

Where in the world are you located?

I'm in Australia.
I'm going to conduct an experiment with G711ulaw faxing / faxback
service. My ISP pacific internet doesn't shape voice traffic so it
only costs 10c a call.

ISDN uses the same codec for voice / fax though of course we know it's
a completely different circuit switched medium. I have 384kb uplink
channel and low latency. The only thing that should cause me lots of
grief is packet loss in theory... theory and practise are always
different so we'll see.

Also another option is in Australia Engin supports T38 fax. You can
plug your fax modems into a VOIP ATA that supports T.38 fax relay and
fax tone detection such as a Linksys-SPA2100. This will take out the
modem carrier and just send the G3 data - saving on bandwith. This is
another 10c a call option. Next week I'll post the results on my blog.
TBA.

Cheers,

Luke