Re: [hylafax-users] user friendly error messages

Hi Lee,

thanks for your answer fast and meaning full as always :-)

I definitely agree with the idea of implementing error codes (like
E0001 as you suggested or similar). So in that way Status codes would
be split into Code and Message and therefore codes could be mapped by
clients to user friendly messages in divers languages.
As far as I've seen the messages implemented in clients in a 1:1
manner (WHFC, Cypheus). I guess they all would be happy with error
codes too.

So how could we proceed with this. Is this something thinkable for one
of the next releases  ?
As a first step I would suggest to implement an error code along with
every possible status message in hylafax and keep the original message
text as it is for now. This way all client programs can start mapping
the codes to more user friendly messages and you can collect those and
decide upon taking some of them across into hylafax(+) later.

What do you think ?

Moritz

On 4/13/07, Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Moritz Winterberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would anyone have an idea how to extract more "user friendly" status
> messages from hylafax ?
> At the moment I get messages like these:
>
> "Busy signal detected; too many attempts to dial"
> "No answer (T.30 T1 timeout); too many attempts to dial"
> "Unspecified Transmit Phase D error, including +FPHCTO timeout between
> data and +FET command; Giving up after 3 attempts to send"
>
> Now I'd like to get some kind of error code and map it to some user
> friendly messages which then could also go in german or any other
> language.
>
> Any idea ? How are current clients doing this ?

I would suggest, that if an error message is opaque or is not user friendly that you bring each case up as an issue, and we reword it so that it's not so unfriendly. Furthermore, I would caution you in your client development to be wary that the error messages are subject to change over time. Maybe we need to include an "error code" with each error message? Like this:

E0001:  Busy signal detected; too many attempts to dial
E0002:  No answer ....

 Moritz Winterberg - winterberg@xxxxxxxxxx
 Telefon: +49 (0)211-63 55 55-36
 Telefax: +49 (0)211-63 55 55-22

 indigo networks GmbH - Gladbacher Str. 74 - 40219 Düsseldorf
 HRB Düsseldorf 39841 - Geschäftsführer: Thilo Salmon, Tim Mois
 Steuernummer: 133/5838/1589, Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE219349391

www.sipgate.de - www.sipgate.at - www.sipgate.co.uk