Re: [hylafax-users] buffer overflow

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:18:30PM +0100, Willy Offermans wrote:
> Dear HylaFAX friends,
>
> I got following error on my FreeBSD 6.1 system, running HylaFAX+
> /var/log/messages:
> <snip>
> Feb 21 16:18:01 rose kernel: sio4: 491 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 704)
> Feb 21 16:48:00 rose kernel: sio4: 285 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 989)
> </snip>
>
> Some search on the internet gave me following information:

> and particularly:
> <snip>
> > Transient interrupt latency problems are supposed to be made harmless
> > by using rts flow control. There is a PR (maybe from you?) about rts
> > flow control apparently not working for one modem.
> </snip>
>
> And in my modem config file I have:
>
> <snip>
> ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # many firmwares have broken software flow control
> </snip>
>
> I understand that if I use rts flow control then there shouldn't be any
> buffer overflow. Is that correct?
> The error occurred when faxing a document with 32 pages.
>
> Does anybody have a solution?

I'm running HylaFAX on FreeBSD. The FreeBSD version is: 6.2-STABLE and
HylaFAX version is: 4.3.0. Currently, I'm running off the serial port on
the mother board (cuad0).

I could see if the problem exists in my setup. If it doesn't, then may
be the problem was fixed in 6.2 of FreeBSD and the solution may be to
upgrade to 6.2.

Let me know how to reproduce the problem (for example, would sending 32
pages to the above configured system suffice?). If this problem occurs
only with multiport serial card (or a particular type of card), then me
running the test might not help.

regards,
joseph

[snip]