Re: [hylafax-users] hyla.conf ?

* Chip Mefford <cpm@xxxxxxxxxxx> [070207 11:41]:

> Good clue!
>
> Thanks very much, (guess it's been longer than I though
> since I did real work)
>
> that said, having created hyla.conf (and faxmail.conf for that
> matter) where faxmail expects it, and following the
> clues in the above referenced doc, I'm still not
> experiencing joy with pdf attachments.
>
> (this is me, being sad)

My recommendation would be to *not* use faxmail directly.

The process faxmail uses tries to format the incoming e-mail into a
single postscript document.  This means that it actually tries to
"merge" all your docuemnts (after conversion to Postscript) into a
single postscript file, which is a process fraught with errors (google
for psmerge errors).

Something like a simple perl script will probably get you farther along:
	http://people.ifax.com/~aidan/hylafax/mail2fax/

That is an extremely basic starting point.  It doesn't to any of the
fancy header-parsing for options that faxmail does, but it could easily
be added in.  The main advantage to this approach is that it doesn't try
to concatenate all the documents into a single postscript file.  It
actually hands them all off individually to sendfax, which has a
powerful typerules document conversion ability, to submit to HylaFAX.

It also allows you to easily customize or alter any mode of operation
based on any headers you want.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103