Re: [hylafax-users] Using a serial modem through a converter from ethernet to serial

andrew rinaldi wrote:
Hi Tony,

We have used a stallion port server to map modems connected remotely to our linux server.
There is a small app that comes with the easyserver called svr_tty that

mpas from ip:port to tty devices.Can you tell us something about this network and how reliable HylaFAX is
when used with this port server ?  We have found in our labs that these
systems become unusable for fax as the packet loss increases... This can
sometimes be stimulated by heavy traffic on the local network.

We find the system to be reliable and works well connecting to remote sites.
We have modems at remotes sites in different states and countries. We have dedicated connections to these remote sites (2mb connections to some locations).

I cant see why it wouldn't work on a virtual machine... but never tried.

I agree that the install should work. However, we are really interested in
how well the system performs as a fax server aren't we ? My advice is to
keep it simple... If you run HylaFAX on a dedicated system with decent fax
hardware you will see extremely low error rates (we have a customer who is
currently investigating an error rate of 6 in 10,000).
Our system is a dedicated fax server on an IBM blade. Our Hylafx server sends about 6,000 faxes a day across the various sites, both remote and local.
I haven't done any stats on error rates, however, chances are we get more than 6 errors in 10, 000, but the errors we get are not specifically related to the port server. I have found that there are lots of other possibilities that could cause errors. I'm not exactly sure what sort of error messages your talking about here though.
The connection to the port server is quite reliable provided that we always have a network connection. There are obvious problems if we loose our network connection to the remote site, but we can route faxes to another site or send them from local modems as a redundancy back up measure.
The only problem I've found with the port servers is that paging will not work when trying to send a pager message through a modem connected to the port server rather than a serial connection. I think there are issues when trying to negotiate a baud rate. The port server can be configured for different settings and not all modem configuration settings can be directly transpired over to the modems, but if all you are going to use it for is faxing , I don't see any problems.

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of The Gribbles Group.

Thank You.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail message and any attachments are free from viruses, you should scan this message and any attachments.
Under no circumstances do we accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from your receipt of this message or any attachment.