Re: [hylafax-users] Ubuntufax

On Monday 29 January 2007 19:06, Graham Chiu wrote:
> Well, FaxDispatch doesn't seem to be calling my script .. so I will
> try something else.

You will need to make sure that your script has execute permission for the
user in whose name it will run, and either is somewhere in the default path
(/usr/local/bin/ is a good choice, since this location won't get touched by
the package management system)  or has its full pathname specified in the
calling script.

Also, note that if you installed your distribution's pre-compiled hylafax
package, certain files may well be in different places than they would be if
you compiled hylafax yourself.  Be sure to check any documentation offered by
your distro.

Also don't forget that if a script wants to write something to a file, then it
needs to have write permission on the file, "execute" permission on the
directory where it resides, and write on the directory if the file doesn't
already exist.  (Use
$ sudo echo -n "" > filename && chmod 666 filename
to pre-create an empty, world-writable file if you need to.  /tmp/ is
world-writable by default, so is a good choice; but note that it will be
emptied on boot-up, so be sure to copy your files somewhere safe if you need
to keep them!)

> As for the samba share, it seems that the received fax's file
> attributes are not changed until the file is complete, so no need to
> worry about grabbing an incomplete file.
>
> But since the faxserver may be remote from the database, I will likely
> use ftp instead to grab the incoming faxes.

How remote?  If it's on the network enough to transfer by FTP, it's on the
network enough to inject into the database, surely?

--
AJS