[hylafax-users] No ECM or 2-D on Multitech 5634ZPX

This message is actually a continuation of a previous thread
on ECM and the Multitech 5634ZPX modem (firmware 1.32k).
Because I accidentally deleted a few directories on my hard
drive, the original postings from 1/2/07 are lost.

The problem is that after installing HylaFAX 4.3.1, the logs
for class 2.1 transmision show that ECM is not being utilized
with this modem even though the receiver is capable.  Also,
conversion to 2-D format is not being accomplished even though
the receiver is capable.  The faxes, however, are still being
transmited without error.

Upgrading to HylaFAX 5.0.3 does not correct this problem.
There is still no ECM or 2-D conversion with class 2.1.

Reverting to HylaFAX 4.3.0 does restore the 2-D "on-the-fly"
conversion, but ECM is still missing.  Presumably, some
changes in the versions following 4.3.0 have caused the problem
with 2-D conversion.

Using HylaFAX 4.3.0 in class 1.0 mode does not allow ECM
either.  In fact, with class 1.0 all faxes are sent at
a maximum rate of 14400 even though the receiver may indicate
33600.  I assume that this limiting to 14400 speed in class 1.0
is due to the fact that ECM is not being utilized.

There seems to be an issue with this Multitech 5634ZPX modem
and HylaFAX.  All faxes are being transmitted but the full
capabilities are not being realized.

Unfortunately, because of lack of access to a fax machine,
I cannot do any extensive testing.  It is just not good behavior
to deluge someone else's machine with a barrage of test
faxes.  I would request that other users of the Multitech
5634ZPX examine their logs and report their experience
with this modem.  Are faxes being sent utilizing ECM and
2-D "on-the-fly" conversion?

Andrew Kalten