Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-users]

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 13:16, you wrote:
> Hi to all,
> If I don't want hfaxd to start whenever my system boots, I want  that
> HylaFAX should listen to client when want it not always?
> Then what I have to do for that?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> with  regards,
> Gunjan Gupta

(Note, this will work for most things except BSD and Slackware; although the
directory and file names will be different on different systems and you will
need to make appropriate substitutions)

Find out what runlevel your system is running in:
# runlevel
It will say something like "N 5".  Note the -last- figure.  Look for a
directory called /etc/rc.d/rc5.d or /etc/rc5.d  (change the 5 to whatever you
saw above)  (the exact location depends upon your distribution but will
always be under /etc).  Somewhere in there will be a symlink called something
like S99hfaxd.  Do ls -l to find where the symlik points  (it'll be something
like /etc/rc.d/init.d/hfaxd or /etc/init.d/hylafax)  and write it down.
Note, if it's a -relative- pathname  (with . or .. in it),  be sure to write
it as an -absolute- pathname  (starting with /).  Rename the file, change the
S to a K.  Type
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/hfaxd stop
(or whatever the path was, with a space and "stop" after it), to stop Hylafax.
The next time you boot up, Hylafax will not be running.  You can type
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/hfaxd start
(or whatever the path was) anytime to start it.

To reverse the process so Hylafax will start up on every boot, just change the
K back to an S.

--
AJS