Re: [hylafax-users] Install HylaFAX

Am 09.07.2006 12:43:53 schrieb(en) Fred Brooks:

'Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200 Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly. If all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed. fred@fred-desktop:~$'

I'm lost! I'm afraid I have no idea what 'try the -s option' means.

You should not use the -s option unless you are really hure that your modem is workig on the port (tty device) you specified.

You can try to talk to the modem with a terminal program like minicom or seyon. When you type the command "ATZ" the modem should answer with "OK". (It may take a few seconds because ATZ tells the modem to perform a reset.)

'Error KDEprintFax
Fax error: see log message for more information.'

I go to Fax>View log, and get:

'Converting input files to PostScript
Sending fax to 0870 130 4926 (F J Brooks)

The front end is telling you that it has converted your document to PostScript and wants to send it using the sendfax command below. (This would not actually submit the job to HylaFAX and not directly send it.)

Sending to fax using: /usr/bin/sendfax -n -h '/usr/bin/sendfax -n -h
%server
%res -d ''F J Brooks''@number -x '''' -c %comment -f %email
'/tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302' ' -d 'F J Brooks'@'08701304926'
'/tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302'
number -x -c %comment -f %email /tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302 : Unknown host'

Did you copy this using cut&paste? Are there really single quotes not double quotes?

The message

number -x -c %comment -f %email /tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302 : Unknown host

means that sendfax thinks "number -x -c %comment -f %email /tmp/kde-fred/kprinter_6302" is a host name.
Option -h wants an argument "[modem@]host[:port]". This matches the pattern "...F J Brooks''@number..." in your command line.
Obviously, the sendfax program gets a longer part of the command line as one single argument. That means the quoting is wrong.
Maybe the sendfax command was written with quotes in a document and you typed it including these quotes or you used single quotes instead of double quotes or you typed in the whole command line at a place where only a single parameter or some parameters should be entered.

Where did you configure the sendfax command line? In fax4CUPS?

I do not understand how it can say: 'Sending fax to...', then nothing
happens!

If "nothing happens" mean "the fax does not get sent" you are right. But something HAS happened: You have an error message in your log because the command to send the fax has failed.

Bodo