Re: [hylafax-users] install hylafax

Am 07.07.2006 10:15:51 schrieb(en) Fred Brooks:
I am trying to install a 'sendfax' capability on Kubuntu
6.06/OpenOffice 2,
and I understand that Hylafax can provide this.

When I look in Adept, I see that hylafax-client hylafax-doc and
hylafax-server are listed as 'not installed'. So I try:

fred@fred-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install hylafax-server
hylafax-client
hylafax-doc

This will install the Debian packages of HylaFAX prepared by their maintainer.

[...]
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

Either another program is accessing the package database or a stale lockfile.

Close all programs that might access the package database, e.g. adept or any program that shows the installed packages.

If you are absolutely sure that no such program is running, remove the lockfile var/cache/apt/archives/lock and try again.

E: Unable to lock the down

This message looks incomplete, but it's related to the other error message above.

I have also downloaded Hylafax-4.3.0, untarred it, and it's sitting in my Home folder,

This is probably a source distribution. You have to compile and install it manually. If you don't know how to do this I suggest you use the prepared Debian packages.

together with Ghostscript and Ghostscript-Fonts (both also untarred), which I also understand that I need.

If you use the Debian packages, this should be automatically handled by the package system. Otherwise you would have to compile and install Ghostscript manually.

But when I try to install Hylafax-4.3.0, I get:

fred@fred-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install hylafax-4.3.0

This command means you want to install a Debian package named "hylafax-4.3.0". apt-get expects to find this package at one of the package sources you configured in /etc/apt/sources.list.

E: Couldn't find package hylafax-4.3.0

There is no such package. You cannot install an unpacked tar.gz archive with this command.

Bodo