Re: [hylafax-users] Auto-answer issue

Matthew Smith wrote:

I have added ModemResetCmds: ATs0=1 to my config.ttyS0 file, in which
RingsBeforeAnswer is set to 1.

However, when I (re)start Hylafax, auto-answer is not set on the modem.
(D-Link DFM-560E, believed to be Rockwell chipset).  If I talk to the
modem through minicom and set ATs0=1, auto-answer is switched on.  If I
then start Hylafax again, it is cleared.

Is there something else that is over-riding my setting?

Yes, ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd.

HylaFAX is not currently designed to work with ATS0=n where n is not 0... which is why there is ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd - because HylaFAX deliberately disables it... instead deliberately looking for RING messages before answering with an ATA command.

Using ATS0=1 and "RingsBeforeAnswer: 1" seem to me to be in disagreement.

HylaFAX *could* be made to work differently (configurably), but I don't think that we can expect RING messages, then, and we'd have to then look for messages like CONNECT and +FCON from the modem (as well as RINGs) and teach HylaFAX to recognize them as an immediate answer situation... bypassing the need for ATA.

I'm not sure that doing the work to make it work differently would be beneficial, though. Is there a case where we would want to avoid using ATA and counting RING messages?