Re: [hylafax-users] Transmission problems: info and questions

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:35:39AM -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> All of these things are possibilities.  Normally I would approach the
> problem in this order:
>
>  1) check the modem itself, power-cycle it, test it in minicom, etc.

I shut the system down and, after quite a pause, restarted it during
the first round of troubles.

>  2) check that there are no other processes that could possibly be
> using the modem

For this and other reasons I probably should get more info about stuff
the desktop environment might be doing (it matters for burning CD/DVD
too).

>  3) check the HylaFAX installation, especially the DSOs,  to make
>   sure
DSO=?
> they're all from the same install.  (It's often not good to have some
> old HylaFAX stuff in /usr/local and new stuff in /usr.)

Because I'm using Debian packages, it's probably low probability this
is a problem.  Though I think I did some custom work quite awhile ago.

>  4) check the line with a different modem
>
> All of this said, since you're using a USR modem I would almost skip to
> #3 quickly and then on to #4.  USR modems have given me way too much
> grief over the years.

Unfortunately, I only have the one modem.  I've been holding off
asking for advice til the other system is setup enough to be ready for
faxing (and I've checked the archives/faqs etc).  But, if you have
any quick suggestions...  This is for light home use; my main goal is
to avoid the kinds of problems I'm having now!

> >This reminds me: I gave up on fax reception quite awhile ago because I
> >couldn't get it to work properly (and I have little need for it).  I
> >suppose that is more evidence that something is fishy.
> >

> Yeah.  Both sending and receiving faxes after an installation is
> important for testing that installation.

Do the problems receiving point in any particular direction?