Re: [hylafax-users] wedged and reset scripts

Joe,

'Wedging' does occur in data mode.  However, a lot of variables are involved
in determining the prevalence of the any bug.  Here are a couple of
examples;

Hardware sources of 'wedging' (such as the Agere Venus Interrupt Register
Read bug) are dependant on specific hardware/firmware/driver events to
stimulate the behaviour and changes in anyone of these will change the
prevalence of the bug.  A good example of this is the way that the changes
to the serial driver in the 2.6 Kernel have effectively removed the Agere
bug.

Fax firmware produced by the chip vendors (Agere/Conexant/USR/etc) has
received little development effort and almost no testing during the last few
years.  Whereas, data firmware is still receiving development effort and
test resources (although a lot less because V.92 has effectively died).

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Ltd. Support
USA +1 718 701 2422 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 436137
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com