Re: [hylafax-users] 2.6 kernel and Multiport boards (MainPine)

Thank you Andrew and Lee.

Regards,
Robert Silvia
DEXIS, LLC
www.dexray.com

andrew rinaldi wrote:
Hi Robert.

I don't have the authority to give you an 'official statement' but I can
give you some background information.

The Agere/Lucent Venus chipset has a bug which can result in a interrupt
register read failure.  This condition is extremely rare but effects boards
from Multitech, Perle, Zoom and other Venus based products that we have
tested.  As a company we focus on providing reliable fax solutions and
therefore implemented a workaround in our hardware for the interrupt
register read bug - this is the multiport feature.  Kernels prior to 2.6 had
native support for this feature.  However, major changes in the Linux serial
driver removed this from 2.6 and it can therefore no longer be used.  The
good news is that these changes also modified the behaviour of the interrupt
service routine and we see the bug very rarely today.  Bottom line, you can
ignore this feature if you are running 2.6 kernels.

I will get the website updated with this information to save confusion in
the future.... The only excuse that I can offer is that we have a new
website in development and they are focused on that more than updating the
current one.

You may also like to know that we are about to extend our sideband features
to Linux.  This will allow us to automatically recover when the modems
'Wedge' following a Venus Firmware/DSP crash (unfortunately, despite many
years of effort on our part we are still unable to cure all of the Venus
bugs).

We have thousands of customers running our products in a production
environment and I have no doubt that we have the most reliable fax hardware
in the industry.  We regularly test fax server software which is unique in
this industry (http://www.mainpine.com/corporate/press/2006/isvlab.php).
We also see a lot of customers dump Brooktrout and Eicon hardware to move to
our solutions because of the better reliability and price point
(http://www.mainpine.com/downloads/WP-Lobar.pdf).

Please let me know if I can offer you any further clarification.

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Ltd. Support
USA +1 718 701 2422 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 436137 andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com