Re: [hylafax-users] Converting Word, Excel and other common formats to PS or PDF?

Hi Daniel

Before thinking about automating it you should analyze a few issues:
- do you have full control over the incoming documents (example: used fonts, layout components etc.)?
- how big is your fault tolerance? Automated conversion means: be prepared to get documents which do not look the same like the original document.

Possible solutions:
a) try to move to OpenOffice formats - the formats are easy to handle and convert.
b) if a) is not possible: send the MS docs to the Adobe PDF creator/print driver/spooler [server side] (which is neither free nor open) and get proper PDF's. You still have to pay attention regarding used fonts etc. If you need a very high quality (a very low fault tolerance), we believe it is the only possibility (we do this fully automated and made very good experiences since years). Once you have valid PDF's, faxing is much easier.

Personal oppinion: forget those typical "free online tools" - rather program it yourself. Either those tools are very, very basic or simply very unreliable.

Konrad

--- Tensid AG Communication Services W. http://www.tensid.ch

Daniel Hillhouse wrote:
Hi All,

I have a suspicion that this question gets asked alot, but I haven't been able to track down an answer.

I've seen alot of free online tools to convert Word, Excel etc to PDF so I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do this? I've got a few remote users that would like to submit word documents for faxing, but they don't have PDF software. I am also looking at WHFC, but would prefer to convert a submitted file to PS or PDF to make things easier for the user.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Daniel.