Re: [hylafax-users] Unreliable fax services via VoIP connection

I second Darren's comments.

I played with this for about 3 weeks. I tried everything from changing modems to upgrading the CODEC & linespeed, but none of it worked.

My VoIP provider said of all their customers on the Fax/Lossless codec, that only 5% reported they could regularly send & receive faxes.

Cheers
Daniel

Lucas Barbuto wrote:

Hi all,

My office is connected to the public phone network via a virtual PRI through our VoIP provider. I have two external modems connected to analogue ports on our PBX, both are used by Hylafax to receive incoming faxes. The software works exceptionally well in converting and dispatching messages, however, we have a lot of trouble receiving faxes.

The two modems are:

MODEM ROCKWELL RC288DPi/V3.210-V90_2M_DLS and MODEM USR U.S. Robotics Sportster Flash 56000 Rev. 10.1.31

Both modems appear to have recurring problems including (in order or popularity):

 * "T.30 T2 timeout, expected signal not received"
 * "Failed to properly detect high-speed data carrier."
 * "Failure to receive silence."
 * "T.30 T2 timeout, expected page not received"
 * "COMREC invalid response received (expected PPS)"

But most worryingly, some of our customers report that they are unable to connect to us at all, receiving "COMM. ERROR" and such messages on their fax machines.

Our provider suggests that we should provision analogue PSTN lines for faxing because fax via VoIP is never safe and rarely works well in their experience, but others in the business aren't satisfied with this answer.

Does anyone on the list have experience in this area? Should I definitely be looking at the VoIP link as the most likely culprit? Or somewhere else?

Regards,

--

Representing Ecco Pacific and CCG Cable Terminations
PH: 0418 512 510