Re: [hylafax-users] Need recommendation for a cheap ISDN Solution

Just by the by, for those who are interested in the Patton 2977 ... I spoke with
their sales and tech staff via email a couple weeks ago regarding drivers for
Linux 2.6 kernels vs. 2.4.

They stated that there are no plans to further develop drivers for the 2977 or
firmware for anything other than critical bug fixes. Okay, actually the Sales
guy told me 'no definite timeframe' and the Engineering guy told me absolutely
nothing was being done - I'm more inclined to trust the veracity of the
technical staff, myself. As far as I can tell, there is no active development
for any other OS (other than Linux) either, but I didn't specifically ask them
about that.

That said, the 2977 is (relatively) cheap and works well with Hylafax for me.
Just expect its lifespan to be limited to however long one can realistically
expect to be able to acquire hardware to run Linux 2.4 on (2-3 more years in my
estimation).

Given the situation, perhaps we might contact them and see what support they
might offer for rolling the thing (driver and firmware) into the Hylafax
development community? My guess is that they're just harvesting the product at
this point and don't really care, but I could be wrong.

Christian

Quoting Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Kib Eki wrote:

at the moment we have a well running Hylafax with a DIVA Server card.

But what will when this card breaks. A new card is expensive and so I am looking for a recommendation for a cheaper ISDN card which is able to work at a german ISDN Anlagenanschluss ( don't know how to translate it).

I don't know what ISDN Anlagenanschluss is, but the competitor product to the Diva Server that works with HylaFAX natively in the same fashion is the Patton 2977. These are less-expensive new, but they're also an older product, so you can also find them used.