Re: [hylafax-users] Send fax with ISDN

Mauri wrote:

Hi all
a very new bie question, or better a doubt due to this article I found on Novell site:

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/sdb/en/2003/02/choeger_hylafax-problems.php

and in bold you can find this: *HylaFAX currently doesn't support sending faxes via ISDN!

*I'm very confused, really I can only receive with my Diva Server 2FX and Hylafax?
It sounds strange, can someone clarify me?

There is a problem with trusting documentation that is not written by someone in or close to the development of a software project because how does anyone else really know what the software is *supposed* to do if the developer doesn't tell them directly.

So it's probably not a good idea to expect completely accurate documentation about HylaFAX to come from Novell/SuSE because that documentation isn't coming from one of the HylaFAX developers. (And herein lies the problem in wiki-like community-developed software documentation, too.)

HylaFAX doesn't care about the way that the hardware interfaces with the PSTN... be it ISDN, analog, or even FoIP. What HylaFAX cares about is the way that the hardware drivers interact with software. HylaFAX expects Class 1 or Class 2 AT-command interfaces on a device node. If your ISDN hardware drivers provide that, then HylaFAX will work with it. If your ISDN hardware requires usage of some other sort of CAPI, then HylaFAX will not work with your hardware alone ... you may need to use CAPI4HylaFAX or some other software in conjunction with HylaFAX.