[hylafax-users] Authentication problems

Hello,
I'm a new user to HylaFax , and I must say I'm very happy to be able to use this magnificent software.
I am having some trouble setting it up tho, in regards to user authentication.
From what I've understood, most of the operations require a user login, based upon the file hosts.hfaxd .
So what I have done is install HylaFax with the Debian packages and it seems to run fine.
The problem is when I try to authenticate, I just can't.
I created a user with the "faxadduser" script named "knoppix" (as that is the account I try to use for faxing operations).

knoppix@0[etc]$ whoami
knoppix

knoppix@0[etc]$ cat hosts.hfaxd
127.0.0.1 (line added by hand to test, still asks for [and refuses] password)
^knoppix@::bWrjtorRVPWqc

knoppix@0[etc]$ sendfax -n -d 1234 test.ps
Password:
Login failed: 530 Login incorrect.

As you can see I'm using Knoppix, running HylaFax 4.2.1 (latest Debian package, if I recall correctly, I will double-check tomorrow, can't now).
I tried creating every kind of account with "faxadduser" (root, 127.0.0.1,etc) but none of them seem to work, it still always asks for a password.
Am I missing something here?
Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick