Re: [hylafax-users] Unknown document type when sending pdf via email

Santos wrote:

Why is it so hard to send pdf (and other formats) to faxmail when sendfax supports it ok?

First off, sendfax and faxmail are independent HylaFAX client programs. Faxmail does not use sendfax.

I suspect that faxmail originated with most of the rest of the HylaFAX software at SGI sometime in the early to mid 90s. I don't think many things were doing PDF back then. Since that time faxmail has been somewhat ignored because, as you're finding, it really doesn't fit the bill for most peoples' needs. By comparision, sendfax has gotten a lot of attention throughout the life of HylaFAX, and that's one reason why PDF works so easily with it. Certainly there are some faxmail advocates out there, and I do not wish to upset them by saying this, but in the time you spend massaging faxmail into doing what you want you could easily, and more suitably, write your own mail-to-fax MDA using sendfax.

(Now, of course the response I usually get to that comment is, "Well, sure writing your own MDA is simple for you, 'cause you're a programmer." And, well, I guess maybe that's true... but it's certainly not harder than writing an Asterisk dialplan... and it seems that newbies jump head-first into that all the time.)