Re: [hylafax-users] Receiving a color fax

Blas Rodriguez Somoza wrote:

I get libtiff-3.7.1 and libjpeg-6b-34 SRPMS (the ones included in FC4) and patch the two.
After that I can open the tiff attachment.
I found two programs which open the resulting tif, Photo-Lux and ViewOne. With the two the result is exactly equal, the image content is OK but the color balance are wrong, white appears as light blue.

The color balance is wrong because the TIFF viewer doesn't know how to represent the CIELAB color pallate. This is not surprising. The CIELAB color pallate is, as far as I'm aware, only commonly used in faxes (as uncommon as a color fax is).

I modify the original patch to be able to apply it to 3.7.2 and 3.7.4. I can send the modified patches to the list if you want.

If you like you can post them to the libtiff Bugzilla. My guess, however, is that libtiff will not make any commits on this until the libjpeg folks commit the patches on their end, as the libjpeg changes are requisite for the libtiff changes to be useful at all. And, if you ask me, libjpeg development at the IJG is dead... even with the new maintainer. (Notice that the maintainers of libtiff now maintain their own fork of libjpeg because the development at the IJG is so dead.)

Since you mention tiffcp, I try to patch faxrcvd to make the tif conversion

Indeed, you are correct. tiffcp won't work. I didn't modify tiffcp for CIELAB. So that leaves only tiff2ps. And I don't think that PostScript handles compressed image data, so you'll end up with a very large ps file after tiff2ps gets done with it.

With the new libtiff the reported DataFormat is the same.

I just tested here myself sending a color fax from a Brother MFC-3100C to Hylafax 4.2.4.2 using a Class 1 IAXmodem. Here is the session log, if you're interested:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/examples/c000000608

Here is the 'faxinfo' output on the received TIFF file:

fax000000295.tif: