Re: [hylafax-users] Premature EOT from some fax machines

Jason Reiser wrote:

So far Class 1 seems to be working fine. We've now successfully received
at least one fax from that problem V.34 sender. I've attached the successful Class 1 log in case it helps troubleshoot the cause of the Class 1.0 issue in any way.

The log doesn't really help, unfortunately.

What this tells us, though, is that the sender either doesn't like the V.34 signalling or it doesn't like the DIS frame. I'd say chances are even for both.

In order to fairly test whether or not V.34 signalling is the issue you'd have to try a differnet V.34-supporting modem... ideally that used a different chipset. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that would fit that bill. However, you could perhaps report the issue to MultiTech and maybe they'd be able to confirm that the V.34 signalling is or isn't the problem. Maybe they've gotten other reports. Maybe there is a fix in a newer firmware.

In order to test the DIS frame we'd need a lot of testing cooperation from this sender. We'd make an adjustment with the DIS frame, then test. Then another, and test. Then another and test. It sounds like this sender wouldn't be willing to do this. So we're a bit stuck.

HylaFAX's DIS frame in 4.2.3 very carefully follows T.30 specification as well as the behavior of other fax machines. If the DIS frame is the problem then the sender likely has similar problems with many other V.34 fax receivers.