Re: [hylafax-users] How to get page count for faxcover?

Joe wrote:

Lee Howard wrote:

Did you really mean to say that it's our fault that you have to resort to ImageMagick tools?

Uh...  I didn't assign fault to anyone.  In essence though, it is
a fault of hylafax (wrt this case) that I had to resort to
ImageMagick.  That statement wasn't meant to ruffle anyone's
feathers.  I've turned in an enhancement request earlier today.

I noticed the Bugzilla report.

What I was trying to say, though (admittedly between the lines)... was that because it's open-source you're completely free and permitted to make the necessary change that you require. I see you spending time filing the bug report, investigating page-counting, etc... and yet you don't just go in and remedy the problem, but rather you're trying to deal with the symptoms only.

I understand that reading C++ code may seem like a barrier to many. However, there are many, many programmers/hackers out there for hire (and many reading this list, too) who would probably do this for you for less money than your time in remedying symptoms (and the future repurcussions of those remedies) is worth.

So, when I see a request-for-enhancement come up without the requestor providing the means to a solution (e.g. a patch) it is my impression, then, that there is no fault and that the request is merely that, a casual request, without prioritization.

So although you may not have assigned fault to any person, you did fault the software... when, in fact, the software (through the open license) has already provided a remedy to you and has thus shed itself of any culpability. Thus, your need to use ImageMagick in this case is a consequence of your own decision to not use the remedy that the software has already presented you.