[hylafax-users] MT5634ZPX-PCI-U doesn't install under Solaris 10

Hello,

I have been trying for many hours to add a modem MultiTech MT5634ZPX-PCI-U (internal PCI) as a serial port on Solaris 10, x86 personal computer.
Finally, I managed to make a new port. It turned out that all help on the WWW and on Sun's web is irrelevant to how the real procedure of adding a serial port looks like.
Anyway, I added a port, but it doesn't respond to any AT commands - not in "cu", not in "tip".

Does anybody have a clue as to whether the Solaris 10 serial port driver supports the UARTs of this modem? And if so, how it should be configured?
Technical support of MultiTech cannot say anything. The generic setup under Unix that they advise is not working. I have an impression, that it's the serial driver that's at fault.

I have mingled with all kinds of configurations of UUCP. There's not a single character coming from the modem. Only once in a while it lifts a hook, and chirps, as if, after numerous retries (with "cu" and "tip") my input from keyboard filled some buffer up, and the modem decided to do something. Curiously, the chirping sound terminates with the termination of the calling program - "cu" or "tip".

The port file name looks different from the standard ports. E.g. a standard port looks like "asy@1,3f8:a". My port looks like "asy@1,a400:" - notice the trailing letter is missing. But the serial port driver doesn't complain.

The modem is working well under Windows operating system.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew