Re: [hylafax-users] Intro, modem problem

Jeff Schulze wrote:

Hello; I am, like many before me, new to Hylafax and new still to Linux operation in general. I come to you with the hope of resolving my setup of Hylafax.. I have looked threw the documentation and have setup my copy of Hylafax on a Redhat Linux system (Clarkconnect as distro.. if it even is a distro, really..) using currently a Hayes Accura PCI 08-03357.

From what I see online:

 http://www.hayes.co.uk/products/products.php?prod=08-03357-72
 http://www.hayesmicro.com/Tech_CS/PCI_03357.htm
 http://www.hayesmicro.com/Tech_CS/documentation/27754-C.pdf
 http://www.hayesmicro.com/Tech_CS/documentation/MarsCRM.pdf

It appears to be an "LT Winmodem" (Lucent host-based modem). Are you using the ltmodem "Linmodem" driver?

http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

It works pretty well in my experience. When that's set (ltmodem module is running) you will want to run:

faxaddmodem ttyLT0

I was hopeing to NOT purchase a USR controller based modem

Well, we don't want you to try faxing with a USR product, anyway.

(the Hayes is supposed to be controller-based, at least has onboard DSP)

It does have on-board DSP, but it is host-based. (In other terms, it's HCF and not HSF, but it's still host-based.) Still, it shouldn't be a problem unless you're going to want more modems on that server.