[hylafax-users] Intro, modem problem

Hello; I am, like many before me, new to Hylafax and new still to Linux operation in general. I come to you with the hope of resolving my setup of Hylafax.. I have looked threw the documentation and have setup my copy of Hylafax on a Redhat Linux system (Clarkconnect as distro.. if it even is a distro, really..) using currently a Hayes Accura PCI 08-03357. I was hopeing to NOT purchase a USR controller based modem, (the Hayes is supposed to be controller-based, at least has onboard DSP) but if I have to so be it. I have meet all the dependancies of Hylafax save Egetty and Vgetty, and faxsetup goes threw up until it gets to the communication with the modem. It will try to detect the speed but then will stop after trying all the speeds and say no DTE-DCE speed detected.. end of script.

I am at my whits end trying to sort out why it will not communicate, and even giving it set communication speeds with the -s command I am unable to get it to communicate. I have looked threw the archives and around the net, but can find nothing specific. I'm sure this has happened before though, and if someone could at least point me in a direction of a helpful doc I would be most appreciative.

I also apparently have no CU or com program included with the clarkconnect system, or I simply do not know where to find it. I have searched for it and to no avail; it is not in my packages nor is it in rpmfind... so I am not sure how to snoop traffic or poke the modem to make sure it really is working okay.. btw, this is also the second modem I've tried with this problem, the first being a USR winmodem.. but that was a obvious mistake.

Anyway, thank you for your time and consideration,

Jeff Schulze