[hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] Re: Error While Running Make.:Partially Resolved

Hi guys,

This is just to summarise the thread. I found I could get a good clean build if I do the following.

A. Use xlc from IBM's XL C Enterprise Edition
B. Change the following in ./config.site

        CC=”/usr/vac/bin/xlc”
        PAGESIZE="A4"                           # default page size
        UTMP="utmp"                     # type of utmp+wtmp handling (auto|utmp|utmpx)

I call this a partial solution because I should have been able to get it going using gcc -but I couldn't
for the life of me work out how.

Also, the reason I had so much trouble with UTMP/WTMP was that when configure is first executed, it wrongly
determines that I should use utmpx.h instead of utmp.h and it then generated port.h. If I then ran a make clean,
modified config.site and re-configured, port.h would not be changed. This was a lack of knowledge on my part though,
when I looked through the makefile, I realised I should have also run make clobber.

Thanks very much to Aidan and Robert for putting up with all my questions.

Now... to see if the executables work !

Bruce Whittaker,
CASS Support,

__________________

Hi Robert,

On 5/27/05, Bruce Whittaker <bwhittak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm still having problems with this so although I haven't put it in the dead
>> issue basket - I'm trying to push on..

>Keep going!

See next reply below ...

>> I've just gone through the ../util directory and manually compiled a
>> whole bunch of executables with g++, patching extern declarations with the
>> extern "C" format wherever

>Ok, cannot think of anything offhand to fix this at the moment.  What
>version of gcc are you using?  Did you build the compiler from source?
>Have you compiled any other C or C++ programs with it?

I've only compiled hello world with gcc, g++ (version 3.3.2-5 - a prebuilt rpm from the IBM
toolbox) because I only wanted it to let me build hylafax.

I've just installed a demo version of XL C Enterprise Edition V7.0 and I updated
config.site to use it (as follows)
CC="/usr/vac/bin/xlc"
This has removed the issue I had with accessing the C++ libraries from the C compiler.
I can now compile the original faxmsg, faxmodem etc. files without having to add in the
extern "C" options everywhere. I know that this generally won't help other users - although
the demo version is free and may get them over the hump if necessary.

>> But now I'm having a different problem. One that I believe you are familiar
>> with Robert (you once handled an old thread
>> In that thread, you mentioned trying the following setting in config.site,
>>
>> UTMP="utmp"

>The configure program creates port.h it should have something like
>"#define USE_UTMPX" or similar.  If it does somehow configure has
>screwed up by ignoring your setting in config.site.

It does - but it's my fault, in playing around, I removed my modification and was left with
UTMP="utmpx" in config.site as the default. Patched that and that issue went.

The next problem that arose was that it the definition for _PATH_WTMP couldn't be found. I looked
at configure to work out what it wanted. I hard coded

#define _PATH_WTMP      WTMP_FILE

into GettySysV.c++ and I could then compile the rest of hylafax.

I'll repeat everything against a clean tree and then post a summary of what I had to do to
make the build happen.

Cheers,

Bruce.
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.