Re: [hylafax-users] for those who wish to fax MS Word docs...

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:15:24 -0400
"Paul D. Kraus" <paul.kraus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... from an enduser point of view they should not have to do
> anything different to fax to it then they would any other system.
>
> Technology should be transparent and should function exactly as the
> user "expects" it to.

As far as I know, no fax software, either proprietary or Open Source,
would be able to deal directly with an MS Word format file.  Even
under MS Windows, fax programs usually work as a "printer" in conjunction
with MS Office to transmit Word documents and do not accept Word format
documents directly.

The original post caused me to believe that the operating system
involved was not MS Windows but a variant of Unix.  In this case,
OpenOffice seems to offer the best quality conversions, and once a
commnad line interface is established through some initial programming
then, using HylaFAX, the entire process would be completely transparent
to the user.

Also, since the original post was addressed to HylaFAX users and not
specifically to any paying customers, the information on OpenOffice
document conversion from the command line may be of interest to those
who are not averse to using complex solutions involving some programming.

Frank Peters