Re: [hylafax-users] Template

Paul D. Kraus wrote:

[Paul Kraus] I never implied that the solution needed to be free. Just that
I needed a solution to easily create templates that could have variables
placed in them that a delimited file could be piped to. I could write it
but then I would need to maintain it. It would be nice to be able to
delegate the form generation to our graphic design team. Take there form put
in the variable place holders and then just pipe my output to it and then to
send fax. I would rather buy a product if one existed. Our design time uses
the adobe sweet but when I have them create me a mock up PO for instance and
the save it in post script form I can't find anything in the text file to
indicate text that should be there. For instance if the form had the words
'PO DATE:' the ps file prints that, the pdf shows it, but when I edit the
document and do a search the words PO DATE do not exist.

Adobe has an "FDF" option to their PDFs. You've probably seen "PDF forms" that have input fields on them where you can type. Well, you can also create an FDF file (ASCII) that references a PDF form file, and it will open up the PDF form and populate the fields with the data that you have. I suspect that this is all possible to do with some version of Adobe Acrobat... since you're willing to pay for it.

So you can easily generate the FDF file from your database. Then just get Acrobat to take that FDF data, merge it with the PDF form that you will create, and flatten it. Then deliver the flattened PDF to HylaFAX for sending.