Re: [hylafax-users] Question on new HylaFAX setup

> Hello,
>     I'm just looking to get started with an implementation of HylaFAX, as
> other software solutions to send our incoming faxes to email are very
> expensive.  We have a voice T1 and I'm thinking of a couple of
> different possible implementations.  As I understand it from the
> documentation, I need a separate modem for each line.  What I'm
> thinking is setting up a couple of servers with a number of modems in
> each, getting a block of DID's from our T1, having our phone system
> split them out into separate lines and plugging each one into a modem.
>  Then having HylaFAX receive faxes on each and send them to specific
> email addresses from each line.  Would this be a workable solution?
> I'm trying to get an idea of what I could get to work so I can test
> and then present our options.  Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Michael

You could do what you're talking about, but I wouldn't think it would be
the most scalable or desirable way to do things.

It would also be possible to get modems that recognize DID - like the
Multitech Multimodem DID (assuming you can pass analog DID information
from your PBX via DTMF or similar method) or you could go digital and get
either ISDN fax boards or a T1/PRI board and run digital connection(s)
from your PBX to your server. Some 'good' boards to check out are the
Eicon Diva Server and the Patton 2977 (Digi Datafire RAS). You could also
do Brooktrout, but that will require a commercial hylafax license from
ifax in order to get the driver support. There are some advantages to
going that route (the commercial license), in terms of support and
capabilities as I understand it, but the ifax guys can speak to that
better than I can.

Once you have a DID-capable solution in place, it's a question of some
simple scripting to deliver to email based on the DID ... we've hacked our
bin/faxrcvd script to accomplish this.

Good Luck!

Christian