Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with external Zyxel U90E modem

On 2005.02.28 19:36 hkbyte wrote:
Lee Howard wrote:

On 2005.02.28 04:01 hkbyte wrote:

I have problem with Zyxel U90E modem when running Hylafax. When the baud rate for sending side fax machine is larger than 28000 bauds, the hylafax will not handshake and will have the following hylafax logs:

Feb 15 16:38:44.78: [ 8358]: <-- [4:ATA\r]
Feb 15 16:39:45.40: [ 8358]: --> [10:NO CARRIER]
Feb 15 16:39:45.40: [ 8358]: ANSWER: Ring detected without successful handshake
Feb 15 16:39:45.40: [ 8358]: SESSION END

In other words, a V.34 sender will not be able to send to the Zyxel U90E. This is not surprising. The ANSam signal seems to be throwing things awry.

Both class 1 and 2 configuration not work. I have already put the line "ModemRate: 19200" but it still not responding until I manually change the baud rate of sending side fax machine to a lower baud rate.
How can I force hylafax negotiate with sending fax machine at a lower baud rate.

You can force negotiation at a lower rate, but you can't force the sender to not try to use V.34. I don't know how you could resolve the matter other than changing modems or preventing all of the people that send to you from using V.34.

I don't understand. Is that mean I can't force the sender to negotiate with my modem at a lower rate. (though it want to talk at a higher speed).

That's exactly what you seem to be telling us. You told us that your modem reports NO CARRIER whenever a sender attempts to initiate a fax using V.34. If this is correct, then it is a failing with the modem, as other modems do not behave this way.

In other words, is that mean a V.34 sending side must have a V.34 compatitble receiving side?

No. The V.34 sender will first attempt V.34 (well, V.8), and then will stop it whenever it detects V.21 signals or otherwise determines that V.34 is not supported by the receiver. Then it will fall-back to the usual V.21 handshaking.