Re: [hylafax-users] Junkfax CIDNumber coming in as 'O' and 'P'

Hi all,

I've been looking at our faxes, and we're getting alot of junk faxes (I suppose many of us are). However, the interesting thing is that the CIDNumber (not name) are coming in as 'O' (not zero, Oh), and 'P'. The worst thing is that not ALL faxes coming in with 'P' seem to be junk, so I can't filter them out.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't get why the telco would send letters down the number field in the CID.

FYI, we have straight in analog lines with CIDNumber & Name, no DID or anything fancy.

I believe those are indicators where the CID Number and Name are hidden
like "Private Caller" (P) and "Out of Area" (O). This is usually where the
sender has disallowed Caller ID on their end.

Roughly half the fax calls we receive have the P and O designations and many
of them are from legitimate customers/partners we deal with.

Lots of times CIDName will be P but the CIDNumber will have the correct
number.

Hope this helps!

Mike