Re: [hylafax-users] TAD Method

On Saturday 12 February 2005 18:29, Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:
> Is it possible to have hylafax simply listen on the line.
> My "Fax" machine has a feature that let's the answering machine pick it up.
> But if it hears fax tones it take over the call.
> I'm thinking this might be more difficult  on a modem then on a fax
> machine. But does anyone know if this is possible?
>
> Regards,
> Mike

On the MT5634ZPX it is possible.  When answering in voice mode, it can return
"FAX" if it hears fax tones, "DATA" if it hears data tones.  An egetty
program can use this data to answer accordingly, defaulting to voice if no
fax or data tones are heard as the greeting message is played.   The only
caveat is that often DATA callers don't send a CNG tone, but FAX always does
it seems.

George