Re: [hylafax-users] MultiTech ISI card failure

Darren,
  Not sure if you sold us the ISI Modem (per Lee's recommedation) the other
day (to jeff at RDN), but we got it in today and it's working great. We got
rid of our crappy USR 5610s. They happened to be causing the majority of the
problems.

  Along the lines of vonage, we are currently in testing with a few
customers. We have 4 (on the 4 port ISI) modems all on vonage. I know Lee
warned against using vonage, but today with the new ISI card we sent 94
faxes, and 2 got errors. We have these errors bounce back to the customer
over email, and they can easily resend their fax. It isn't critical that the
fax they queue with us necessarily goes through, as long as they know that
it didn't and they can resend from within our webapp. Tomorrow we will roll
out to all customers -- and we can expect the 94 faxes to easily quadruple.
If we see the same number of sent to error ratio, we should be around ~98%
deliverable. In this setup, we are getting free long distance for
$xx.xx/month. With the limited testing we have had, vonage is working
decently, and *we* can live with the occasional error. However, i can
understand if one cannot live with the occasional error, and you *will* see
them with vonage. I will report back in the future after this thing has been
wrung out if people want to hear my experience with vonage + hylafax.

  We are only sending faxes, and we guess the final amount to be around 500+
a day. If it matters, we are using the 2 port linksys -> vonage adapters
(http://www.vonage.com/products_linksys.php). This is a bit different than
the one I use at home (for VoIP) which doesn't have the network interfaces
on it, and is considerably smaller. This may have newer firmware (although I
have not seen anything about T.38) and react better to faxing. We also have
turned each phone line in vonage's web app up to 90kbps since we can spare
the b/w at our data center. Either way, vonage does seem to be working, but
rest assured, we are keeping a close eye on its performance.

YMMV,
--Eric