Re: [hylafax-users] how to tell hylafax not to deal with voice

On Monday 07 February 2005 16:25, Mohammad Khan wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 08:48, George Bell wrote:
> > > My etc/config.ttyS1 doesn't have any entry for VGettyArgs.
> > > Why my server is responding to voice call?
> >
> > Do you have distinctive ring service from your telco?  If so you can set
> > "NoAnswerVoice" to true to keep hylafax from answering calls on your
> > voice number.
> >
> > George
>
> I just called my telephone company and found I don't have distinctive ring.
> I am going to have it, though. Thanks for pointing out the issue.
>
> Hope after having distinctive ring, I will be able to manage my server more
> comfortably.

Distinctive ring is a kind of "cheap" extra phone line (it costs about the
same as call waiting).  Basically you'll be given a second phone number you
can use for fax but shared on the same phone line you use for voice.  Then
with NoAnswerVoice you tell faxGetty to ignore the voice number.   The
distinctive ring numbers are entered in the config file with the parameter
"DistinctiveRings".   It is possible to handle voice calls without distinctive
ring but it is not as convenient to use and somewhat more involved to set up.
I've got a howto for setting up hylafax for voicemail using vgetty on
ftp://georgebell.no-ip.com.

George