Re: [hylafax-users] Fax across VoIP lines working for anyone?

Le lundi 31 janvier 2005 à 15:16 -0800, Lee Howard a écrit :
> On 2005.01.31 14:50 Bruce Whittaker wrote:
> > Hmm...
> >
> > I'm new to both FoIP and VoIP. A quick question for you.
> >
> > The implementation they are looking at putting in here will be VoIP,
> > should they have a network issue,
> > they intend to flip faxes over to the normal phone lines. If I migrate
> > T.38, will it work over the normal phone lines as well ?
>
> The answer to the question you're trying to ask is no.

I'm not sure what B. Whittaker is "trying to ask" here, but to make it
clearer for him:
- as it's been mentioned, fax on VoIP (encoding fax directly in a G.711
RTP stream) is not reliable, so you may forget about that
- but you can have T38 and VoIP in the same network architecture, a lot
of VoIP gateways also feature T38 relay
- "normal phone lines" only support "standard" fax protocols, you have
to use adapters to connect your (analog) fax machine at one end, and
adapters (gateways) to connect to (analog or numeric) phone lines at the
other end if you want your fax traffic to go over IP.

--
Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>