Re: [hylafax-users] May have possible cause for wedge modem problem

On 2004.08.24 09:02 Enrico Payne wrote:
Hi, I am running Hylafax with Multitech modems, and some time have the
modems "wedge" on numerous occasions in a day and on other occasions
they may not wedge for a few weeks. I have now monitored the system
for
the last 3 months, and have identified a possible cause, being: The
fax
modem is resetting itself, and another call is received on the line.
Walla, wedged modem.

Yes, I've seen this.

This seems to make no difference if the modem is
reset after receiving or sending a fax, or even if your Hylafax server
has just been restarted. It seems as though Hylafax does not reset the
modem correctly if there is a ring indicator or carrier on the modem.

If you get a "wedged" indicator, then HylaFAX already did everything that it could to reset the modem. If you can ressurrect the modem with minicom and some series of AT commands or whatever, then please let us know. But from everything that I've ever seen about "hung" modems like this, they have to be power-cycled.

Actually, I would have expected Hylafax to have disabled the auto
answer
on the modem until it was ready...

HylaFAX does disable the auto-answer on the modem as soon as it can. It resets the DTE, sends ATZ, and then sends ATS0=0. That's the best that HylaFAX can do. If you are using these modems exclusively with HylaFAX then you *probably* should save the initialization settings with AT&W0 (see below), that way the modem is initialized even if it is reset without HylaFAX's awareness.

To save the initialization settings I do it this way:

Start faxgetty. Let it initialize the modem. Then run 'minicom -o' and type "AT&W0" and then return (you won't see an echo). Then exit minicom, and restart faxgetty. Now your modem will always be initialized after ATZ or a power-cycle. Doing this is particularly important for external modems.