Re: [hylafax-users] fax4CUPS questions for hylafax use on Linux client

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:58:12PM -0400, Brian Zammit wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am wondering if there has been any work done to make the fax number
> entry simpler in fax4CUPS? Users don't like figuring out how to enter
> phone numbers into a lpr line. The suggestion by Glenn to have fax4CUPS
> popup a phone number questions box would be perfect.

And how would CUPS figure out what user to send the popup to?

Note that CUPS is a server and might be serving several users
(logged in into the same *nix box; via Samba; daemons sending
faxes; you name it).

The question is not (completely) rhetoric: I'm really interested
in good ideas for that. A friend of mine is wrestling with just
the same, and his program (sending faxes via Samba) pesters his
users with dialog boxes (Samba can do that). A less-than-optimal
thing, believe me. (Actually he first tries to guess the phone
number by dissecting the Postscript file, which is even uglier,
but user-friendlier, resorting to the pop-upping when that fails).

Regards
-- "Be Careful What You Pray For...You Just Might Get It"
   tomás