Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 15:36, An Intrepid HylaFax User wrote:
> > To start with - Hylafax is wonderful and Lee impresses the pants off
> me.
>
> Hylafax wouldn't be 1/10th as useful without Lee, there's no argument there.
> The fact it works at all DESPITE the best efforts of modem
> manufacturers to make fax functionality in modems as useless as
> possible is a miracle worthy of mention in the Century Rolls of
> Achievement.
>
> =R=

I agree; Lee is the saving grace of this list (and much of the Hylafax
user community).  I also don't understand the vendor "support" for
interoperability among fax machines (including modems).

In general, a cheap (but decent) Class 1 fax-modem probably provides the
least hassle out-of-the-box experience, and from what I've seen on this
list, most of the problems are more related to modem firmware (and user
confusion) than they are to Hylafax code.

Again, Lee really does know his stuff, and does a fine job of addressing
the user confusion issues (alas, he can't do the same for bad
firmware).  As a user-supported piece of software, Hylafax is actually
quite good; it's not very much different from other open-source
projects, except for the fact that Hylafax gets to deal with all that
lovely firmware and the interoperability issues.

Bottom line:

Don't blame the Hylafax code or users trying to be helpful for factors
outside their control.

About the only thing I see that could be improved on the Hylafax side,
would be to get Lee's knowledge documented in a nice big FAQ...

That's my $.02

Steve