Re: [hylafax-users] Upgrading from 4.1.8 to CVS HEAD

Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2004.03.15 09:22 Adrian Newby wrote:

> What does an upgrade from one HylaFAX version (i.e. 4.1.8) to another
> (i.e.
> CVS HEAD, when it becomes a stable production release) look like?

This depends upon how you want to install the upgrade and how your
current installation was made.

In my case it's as easy as:

rpm -Fvh hylafax-4.2.0-1rh7.i386.rpm (you did say "when it becomes a
release").

> What will
> be involved?

Usually just a re-do of what you did to install it in the first place,
but probably with less configuration matters.

> Is an upgrade path documented as part of a release
> package?

If you consider the comments above and a README file as documentation
then yes, if not, no.

> If there is one, what would be considered the definitive online
> resource for
> users wanting to learn more about upgrading prior to taking the
> plunge?

I recommend that ever administrator come to understand and know how to
work with the package managment program on the system (i.e. RPM).

But what if you run FreeBSD? Call me biased but I switched over to FreeBSD from Linux in 1997. For reasons I can't recall, I just thought FreeBSD was a better choice for my use at the time. And it stuck. I still run this rock solid OS on the same old P166 that I built almost 8 years ago. It ran Linux at first but then switched to FreeBSD-2.2.5, it now runs Release 4.9 and has really never done anything but run perfectly as a router, file & print server, dns, web server, dhcp server, sendmail server, sql server and now thanks to HylaFAX a networked fax server.

I do wish there were more help and articles about HylaFax on the BSD end. BSD does have a terrific ports section which is probably inferior to RPM's. The ports are often a version or two behind and more likely than not the port maintainers no little or noting about it or don't reply to requests for help. My one and only request for help on the HylaFax port was answered by a maintainer who asked, "What the heck is HylaFax?" This is why I generally build from source as opposed to using the ports section.