Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax on Debian

On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 02:02 PM, David N. Welton wrote:

[ Please CC replies to me - thankyou! ]

Hi,

I have a Debian "testing" system as well as a Debian "stable" system.

I am trying to get hylafax set up, but unfortunately the Debian
packages do not seem to be very high quality (which is pretty
unusual), and do not seem to be maintained (this probably explains the
first problem).

Has anyone got any tips or tricks to make this work on Debian?  It
seems the main problem I encounter initially is a discrepancy between
Debian's installation of everything in /etc/hylafax/ and hylafax's
expectations of finding things in /var/spool/fax.

Any particular suggestions for windows client software?

Thankyou for your time,
--

I can tell you that it is possible to install hylafax from a deb. For my Woody installation, I used backports to get the deb from the stable tree. My entry in sources.list is:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable hylafax

The only other problems I encountered had to do with porting
configuration files from a RedHat 7.3 system and my own inexperience.

You will find the /etc/hylafax/etc links to /var/spool/hylafax/etc. The
setup system will make the /etc/hylafax directory tree. I had some
difficulty with GhostScript locations (e.g., /var/lib/defoma).

Mark