Re: [hylafax-users] voice and fax on same line - remote activation code

On 2003.12.31 11:04 Wayne wrote:
I am trying to replace our existing standalone fax machine with a HylaFAX server. We only have one phone line for both fax and voice.

One feature this standalone fax machine provides is a remote activation code. This allows the fax machine to receive a fax even if a human answered the phone before the fax machine. For example - fax call comes in, human answers the phone before the fax machine, human recognizes it is a fax call and enters the remote activation code (*51), then the fax machine receives the fax - the human then hangs up their extension (note: this works on all extensions on the line, not just the phone on the fax machine).

Is a similar feature available with HylaFAX? I have checked the documentation and the closest thing I found was distinctive ring, but our phone line does not have this feature.

Simply put, no, there is no similar feature with HylaFAX. The only thing remotely close would be for a privileged user to "manually" trigger faxanswer.

In order to do this your modem would need to be able to detect DTMF and relay that clearly to faxgetty. A few modems can do this, but not many... and some need to be in voice mode to do it... which complicates matters. And then there's the matter that...

When HylaFAX stops hearing RINGs it reinitializes the modem to await the next call. So, if the *51 were pressed during initialization it would be complicated to trigger an answer.