[hylafax-users] Hylafax Stopped Working -- Change of Devfs

I use a home-brewed Linux system, currently based on kernel 2.4.23.
After changing from devfs back to the traditional /dev file system,
Hylafax no longer is able to function.  My best guess is that the
change back to the tradional /dev hierarchy is responsible because
I've made no other modifications.

Ordinarily, Hylafax is easy to debug.  An increase in the log verbosity
level can give all sorts of useful information.  But a big part of this
new problem is that Hylafax does not produce any log messages whatsoever!
The logs are silent when they should be full of Hylafax messages.

Can I be missing an important device in the /dev hierarchy?  The only
change has been to greatly limit the number of pseudo-terminal devices
because I don't need them on my single-user desktop system.

Does Hylafax use pseudo-terminal devices?  What devices in the /dev
hierarchy, beside the modem device, are necessary for Hylafax to function?

How can I get Hylafax log reporting back so I can debug?

Under the devfs set-up, Hylafax functioned normally.  Only after I switched
back to the traditional /dev hierarchy did this peculiar problem arise.

From the email report of the aborted fax job, it appears that faxq is unable
to convert/check the submitted file due to a lack of file permissions. Yet both
ps2fax and tiff2fax function normally.  Without log messages, I cannot probe
further into the problem.

The Hylafax version is 4.1.8.

Frank Peters