Re: [hylafax-users] cannot send any faxes (could not create client)

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 08:49, Davison Long wrote:
> By a straight rebuild, do you mean running:
>
> #emerge -u hylafax
>
> That is what I did.  (I didn't actually unmerge the old one; is that
> something that is really important to do?)  Since I didn't pay too much
> attention to what was there and what wasn't before the upgrade, I'm
> hesitant to file a bug report when it might not have been the problem,
> but I certainly was able to send a fax before the upgrade.

The emerge command normally removes the previous version of a package
after it merges in the new one, so no, you don't have to do anything
yourself other than "emerge -u hylafax" (or whatever).

> The biggest problem I was having before the upgrade was with the init.d
> script that came with the 4.1.7 release, which was not a gentoo style
> script.  I was in the process of writing my own script for it when I
> came across the upgrade that had a gentoo style script included.
> Thanks for your reponse.

The new init script is also in a 4.1.7 revision, but I was instructed to
remove the older ebuilds because of the security issue; 4.1.8 is the
only "official" release from hylafax.org to address the remote exploit,
while it seems other distros (eg, Suse, Mandrake) patched their current
package version, ie, older versions of hylafax.

The only difference between the pristine hylafax source versions of
4.1.7 and 4.1.8 should be the above security fix, and I didn't change
the ebuild functionality at all.  However, other than testing the ebuild
itself, I have not had time to test the fax capabilities.

If you don't want to file a gentoo bug, then please post a gentoo forum
message about it, or try talking to someone in #gentoo, #gentoo-server,
etc.

I have a stack of exams to grade, and a bunch of extra work right now,
but I'll see what I can do about exercising my hylafax 4.1.8 install
this weekend.  If you want to try something, you can rename the 4.1.8
ebuild to 4.1.7, put it in your PORTAGE_OVERLAY, and emerge it.  You can
see from the output of emerge which files and directories are created
and merged (unmerge 4.1.8 first).  You can also use qpkg (part of
gentoolkit) to list all the files in an installed ebuild.  If it looks
like it's all there, try emerging the 4.1.8 ebuild again, and verify
whether it's correct or not.

Thanks, Steve

PS.  My gentoo stuff is at home, but I'm pretty sure 4.1.8 is marked
x86.  Sorry for the confusion...

> > On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:23, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > > How did you upgrade?
> > >
> > > It looks like your hylafax spool (/var/spool/hylafax) no longer has
> the
> > > client directory (or the permisions in it are wrong).
> > >
> > > ls -ld /var/spool/hylafax/client
> > > drwxr-xr-x    2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 20
> 13:34 /var/spool/hylafax/client
> > >

> > I'm the Gentoo ebuild guy for hylafax, and it should be a straight
> > rebuild the 4.1.8 package and unmerge the old one.  Since the 4.1.7
> > ebuild had no problems, I didn't spend a bunch of time testing the
> 4.1.8
> > (since it was just a security update).  Kindof an assumption on my
> part,
> > but the 4.1.8 ebuild is still marked ~x86 (meaning not part of the
> > stable ebuild list).
> >
> > Davison, if you can file a Gentoo bug report, I'll take a look and see
> > if it's a problem with the ebuild.  Go here:
> >
> > http://bugs.gentoo.org
> >
> > Thanks, Steve
> >

> > > * Davison Long <davlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [031120 17:21]:

> problem.