Re: [hylafax-users] AW: Problems receiving facsimiles, modems don't return to idle state

On 2003.11.20 11:58 Thorsten Büker wrote:

> The default ModemPageDoneTimeout is a rather large integer (180000).

> So it is bigger than 16-bits, so it requires a 32-bit
> allocation by the
> compiler. It and ModemPageStartTimeout are the only default timeout
> values that large.  You could try setting it lower, say at 60000
(one
> minute, and within a 16-bit range) to see if the size of the timeout

> value is a factor.

To check if the fault occurs more often in connection to a quicker
timeout?

No. To check to see if it a problem with the default value exceeding the allocated space that was given it by the compiler. If it never occurs with the 60000 setting then it would indicate a typing problem within the HylaFAX code.

> I can send you code patches to add some debugging info in
> there so that
> we can see what's actually going on.  If you can make use of them
and
> want to try it out, let me know.

Yes, this would be nice.

Please try the attached patch. It will add a fair amount of logging. This is expected and necessary, unfortunately, in order to debug this. When you get your next lockup please send the associated session log.

Will the patches also work on the sources shipped by SuSE?

The patch is based on CVS-HEAD (future 4.2.0), but should apply to SuSE's 4.1.5 and probably much earlier.

> The catalyst to the problem, however, appears to be the lack of an
> expected modem response.  In Class 2.0 you'll need to consult
> the modem
> manufacturer for a firmware fix.  So HylaFAX can fix the "stuck"
> faxgetty, but the modem manufacturer must fix the modem error.

Actually the modems (ELSA Microlink 28.8 TQV) worked fine under W2k.
Unfortunately ELSA meanwhile became insolvent, I don't know about
available firmware fixes.

I highly suspect that the modems did the same thing with Windows 2000; only the difference being that the fax program you used handled the modem problem with greater ease (like, not causing the program to hang).