[hylafax-users] AW: Problems receiving facsimiles, modems don't return to idle state

Dear Lee,
(and Hylafax-users, for sure)

> > Nov 20 14:19:51.64: [21140]: MODEM set XON/XOFF/DRAIN: input
> > interpreted, output disabled
>
> At this point HylaFAX awaits the +FPS response from the modem
> and will
> wait 3 minutes for it.  If there isn't a response within 3 minutes
> there should be a timeout and an error.  I assume that this is not
> happening in your case.

I guess you're right, but I assume there's no chance to check as the
above line is the last one written (until killing the job ;-)).

> The code that waits (loops) and is supposed to timeout is
> ModemServer::getModemLine().  I don't see any obvious error
> there, and it seems to work fine otherwise.

...and even our modems work fine most of the time.

> The default ModemPageDoneTimeout is a rather large integer (180000).
> So it is bigger than 16-bits, so it requires a 32-bit
> allocation by the
> compiler. It and ModemPageStartTimeout are the only default timeout
> values that large.  You could try setting it lower, say at 60000 (one
> minute, and within a 16-bit range) to see if the size of the timeout
> value is a factor.

To check if the fault occurs more often in connection to a quicker
timeout?

> I can send you code patches to add some debugging info in
> there so that
> we can see what's actually going on.  If you can make use of them and
> want to try it out, let me know.

Yes, this would be nice.

Will the patches also work on the sources shipped by SuSE? As far as I
can see SuSE has slightly changed the directory structure in comparison
to sources from hylafax.org - but this won't be a problem anyway.

> The catalyst to the problem, however, appears to be the lack of an
> expected modem response.  In Class 2.0 you'll need to consult
> the modem
> manufacturer for a firmware fix.  So HylaFAX can fix the "stuck"
> faxgetty, but the modem manufacturer must fix the modem error.

Actually the modems (ELSA Microlink 28.8 TQV) worked fine under W2k.
Unfortunately ELSA meanwhile became insolvent, I don't know about
available firmware fixes.

Thanks for your help,
  Thorsten

--
  Thorsten Büker   * Bärenstr. 19-21 / WG 3106 * 52064 Aachen
Tel 0241 - 8865315 *    Mobil 0163 - 2572057   * http://bueker.net

           Nail here for a new monitor -----> [x]