Re: [hylafax-users] Consistent failure in sending faxes

Frank Griffith wrote:

Sorry about the flood of postings and please forgive me
if this all gets double posted, but I just got Hylafax configured from source on FreeBSD-4.9 and the IT guys at the office are taking notes.Tomorrow we put one of these test boxes into service for the Proj.Mgmnt team and see how far this baby takes us.

I would like to ask the following questions of anyone with experience with Hylafax:

1). We are going to be using the WinPrint program to print jobs to the Hylafax server. It's worked with my tests so far but I'm not sure how the other less-technical people at the office will like the interface especially with the client software for checking for faxes on the server and viewing them without erasing faxes directed to other people. Any feedback from users on this?

2). We have an office staffer who will be retrieving the faxes and sending them via e-mail to the receipients. What is an easy-to-use but still "Free" client for WindowsXP machines.

3). I made the /var directory 5GB in size to accomodate that the program defaults to storing faxes in /var. Even though we will clean up old files once in a while, we still want to store the fax files and records of the faxes being sent/received for a long time. How much space do you find the files use? I've seen only small transmittals with mostly text so far.

4). How do I get rid of the GMT that shows up on the cover
sheet even though the time shown is local time?

I don't know about the other items, but for (2), if you make a file called "FaxDispatch" in /var/spool/hylafax/etc with the following two lines:

FILETYPE=pdf;
SENDTO=receptionist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx;

(replace "receptionist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" with the email address of the person who will be sorting the faxes), then hylafax will turn the incoming faxes into pdf files and send them as file attachments to "receptionist." That person can then forward them to the appropriate part(y)(ies). Just make sure your e-mail server is set up to accept mail sent from your hylafax server.

The Windows XP machine to which hylafax will send the faxes should have Outlook Express (comes with Windows XP) and Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download from Adobe) installed, so that "receptionist" can look at the received faxes and decide to whom they should be forwarded.

Michael Evans